Select Language:


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

While age is one of the determining factors for travel insurance, it is different than car insurance in that prices are lowest for young, healthy individuals.
Certain plans that we offer include coverage for interpretation services. These plans will connect you with a foreign language interpreter when communication is necessary for emergency services. We also offer plans that help you communicate with your travelling companion(s) and even relay important messages to your family at home, in the event of a medical emergency.
Whenever possible, the insurance companies will try to coordinate direct payment with the hospital so that you do not have to pay out of pocket. It is important that you contact your insurer's Claims and Emergency Assistance department if you are in need of medical attention. This department will help you get the medical attention you need while attempting to coordinate payment at the facility where you are being treated. However, be aware that some medical facilities may insist on payment up front.

If your policy has a deductible, this means that you will be responsible for a portion of the medical expenses incurred. This deductible is a dollar amount that you must pay before coverage kicks in. Deductibles vary from policy to policy, and can be applied on a per-claim or per-trip basis.
Travel insurance plans typically include emergency transportation by land and/or air, as well as remote evacuation to the nearest appropriate hospital or medical facility. It is usually necessary to have air ambulance and remote evacuation benefits arranged and pre-approved by your insurance company; so check with your insurer before you leave for your trip. In the case of an emergency in a remote area, make sure to have a way of contacting your insurance company.
When you purchase a plan, you will receive all of your pertinent policy information via email. Confirmation documents, which include your policy number and the claims/emergency assistance phone number, can be printed from your confirmation email, and carried with you as proof of coverage while travelling.

While all policies define "emergency" differently, in general, an emergency refers to a sudden, unexpected, and unforeseen sickness or injury which requires immediate medical treatment. A cold (or other illness) will only be covered if it falls under your policy's definition of an emergency. It is important that you read your policy wording carefully to make sure that you understand its benefits and exclusions.
Yes, regular travel insurance will not cover risky sports or activities. If you are a Canadian covered under provincial health care or an international traveller (non-Canadian), we offer plans that will cover you for activities like mountaineering.
Travel insurance policies typically exclude expenses pertaining to alcohol or drug use. In most cases, if you are involved in an accident which is directly or indirectly related to alcohol or drug use, you would not be covered. If the accident was totally unrelated to your drinking, this should not affect your coverage. Make sure that you read your policy wording carefully to ensure that you are familiar with the terms and exclusions.
Most conventional travel medical insurance plans can cover expenses associated with low-risk amateur sports. However, all plans have exclusions for expenses related to more dangerous sports, such as car or motorcycle racing, horse racing, rodeo activities, etc. Make sure to check your policy wording to find out which sports aren’t covered. Conventional travel medical plans will also not cover expenses related to professional sports. If you will be participating in high-risk or professional sports, a specialized travel insurance plan may be able to provide you with the coverage you need. It is also a good idea to check if your team or league will be providing sports coverage.